Thursday, August 8, 2013

One plus one...

First, at the height of outrage, we find peace in blaming. Mostly because it is the simplest, easiest and most straightforward thing to do. They did this to me. He stole my toy. 1+1=2.

Sooner or later we step into what we like to call maturity. We become balanced enough to think from their side. They were helpless, they had no option; they did the best they could under the circumstances. He had just picked it up to play with it for a while, maybe he was tempted, poor thing. 1 + 1 need not be 2, we are ready to concede that it could also be a slightly bigger 1 (immini baliya 1), or could even be 11.

Then comes the day... when you are the one seated on the other side of the table. I am helpless, I have no option, I am doing the best I can... I did not steal your toy, I just picked it up and walked away... 1+1.... they say it is not quite 2, it is 1.9999999.....

You hate 1. You hate numbers, you hate addition. You hate the day you first encountered Mathematics.
It was so much easier to blame someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment